CHC53215 – Diploma of Alcohol and Other Drugs
Course start date
Apply for the CHC53215 Diploma of Alcohol and Other Drugs now!
About this qualification
This qualification is designed to enable candidates to extend their skills, knowledge and understanding of workplace policy and procedures, and to provide advanced interventions in the areas of counselling, referral, advocacy and education/health promotion services.
In studying the Diploma of Alcohol and Other Drugs, candidates will gain a greater understanding and expertise in assessments, interventions, clinical skills, supervision and counselling. Selected units on counselling are integrated into the course as well as more advanced work on statutory requirements and organisational management.
The qualification delivers high level specialist knowledge, skills and competencies especially in regard to laws affecting clients, the range of services available to them and health issues related to alcohol and drug use and misuse.
Occupational titles may include:
- Case worker
- Community support worker
- Detoxification worker
- Drug and alcohol worker
- Family support worker
- Outreach worker
- Support worker
- Alcohol and drugs worker
- Community rehabilitation and support worker
Our method of delivery for the Diploma of Alcohol and Other Drugs is flexible online delivery, designed for students currently employed in the alcohol and other drugs sector. The course is provided through our online Student Portal, with full online support in the form of manuals, learning materials and assessments as well as support via telephone, emails and forums. It is suitable for people with intermediate computer literacy. The format is similar to ‘distance learning’ and requires good time management skills.
Expected study hours per week: 6-8
Course Duration: 17 months
Competency against each unit’s specifications is assessed during each unit undertaken throughout the course. Students are provided with opportunities for re-assessment if they fail to demonstrate competency during assessment tasks.
The assessments come in a variety of theory-based and practical formats. Theory-based assignments may include brief research assignments or short answer questions; practical assignments can comprise of observation of a student undertaking various aspects of the role of a practitioner. These are usually completed by a manager or supervisor who has sufficient experience in the task being observed.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
All students are provided with the opportunity to have their prior learning and experience assessed and recognised (Recognition of Prior Learning). Students who have successfully completed whole units of competency with another nationally recognised training provider that are identical to any of those contained within this course can apply for National Recognition. For more information on our RPL processes, please click here.
Participants assessed as competent in the units receive a nationally recognised and accredited Qualification: the CHC53215 Diploma of Alcohol and Other Drugs. Partial completion of the qualification can lead to a Statement of Attainment being issued that will list any units of competency obtained.
Intended audience & pre-requisites:
- The flexible online delivery format of our Diploma course is designed for workers currently employed in the AOD (or related) sector, where a qualified supervisor can assist them in the provision of third party reviews of practical assessments undertaken during their line of work.
- Our courses are contextualised for the Victorian AOD sector, and as such are recommended only for students intending on working in Victoria.
- This course is delivered online (and the blended delivery still entails the use of an online Student Portal) and thus is suitable for people with access to a computer and intermediate computer literacy.
- In order to work effectively in the sector candidates must be able to perform tasks requiring language, literacy and numeracy skills such as reading & writing case notes and reports, and conducting & writing assessments. A learning, literacy and numeracy test will be issued to all prospective students in line with national Registered Training Organisation requirements.
- Work in an alcohol and other drugs context (CHCAOD001)
- Provide alcohol and other drugs withdrawal services (CHCAOD005)
- Provide brief opportunistic intervention for clients with amphetamine type stimulant issues (ATSPIC402A)
- Respond to clients in crisis with amphetamine type stimulant issues (ATSRCC401A)
- Assess needs of clients with alcohol and other drugs issues (CHCAOD004)
- Develop and review individual alcohol and other drugs treatment plans (CHCAOD009)
- Assess co-existing needs (CHCCCS004)
- Develop strategies for alcohol and other drugs relapse prevention and management (CHCAOD007)
- Establish and manage client relationships (CHCCOM006)
- Provide services to people with co-existing mental health and alcohol and other drugs issues (CHCMHS005)
- Provide interventions for people with alcohol and other drugs issues (CHCAOD006)
- Provide advanced interventions to meet the needs of clients with alcohol and other drugs issues (CHCAOD008)
- Provide systems advocacy services (CHCADV005)
- Work with diverse people (CHCDIV001)
- Work effectively in trauma informed care (CHCMHS007)
- Implement trauma informed care (CHCMHS013)
- Research and apply evidence to practice (CHCPOL003)
- Collaborate in professional practice (CHCPRP002)
- Reflect on and improve own professional practice (CHCPRP003)
- Assess the needs of clients with problem gambling issues (CHCGMB001)
- Provide counselling for clients with problem gambling issues (CHCGMB002)
Current Senior (Level 2) First Aid accreditation (equivalent to HLTAID003 – Provide First Aid). Evidence of completion required for full completion of qualification.
Government Funded Price: $558.00* (Concession rate, for eligible students: $167.60.)
*This training is provided with Victorian and Commonwealth Government funding. $558.00/$167.60 represents the required student contribution. Enrolments are subject to available funding. Check your eligibility for Victorian Government Training Guarantee funding here.
View our full statement of fees here.
Learn more – contact us
Would you like to learn more about the Diploma of Alcohol and Other Drugs? Our Student Coordinator is available on (03) 8537 7112 and at email@example.com; or you can reach out to us via the contact page.