Apply for the CHCSS00093 Alcohol and Other Drugs Skill Set now. Intake will be opened every 2 months.
About this qualification
The Alcohol and Other Drugs Skill Set consists of the highly sought after four core competencies required for working in the AOD sector in Victoria. It is suitable for those who have already completed a Certificate IV level qualification in a related field. The course provides opportunities to develop skills in conducting comprehensive client assessments, developing treatment plans and providing interventions – utilising motivational interviewing and CBT for relapse prevention.
In 2022 this skill set is available via government funding via Skills First funding to eligible individuals.
Occupational titles may include:
- Case worker
- Community support worker
- Detoxification worker
- Drug and alcohol worker
- Family support worker
- Outreach worker
- Support worker
Flexible online delivery
Our method of delivery for the Alcohol and Other Drugs Skill Set is flexible online delivery, designed for students currently employed in the alcohol and other drugs sector. The course is provided through our online Student Portal, with full online support in the form of manuals, learning materials and assessments as well as support via telephone, emails and forums. It is suitable for people with intermediate computer literacy. The format is similar to ‘distance learning’ and requires good time management skills.
Assessments are conducted using a variety of methods including question banks and written tasks. Practical therapeutic / clinical skills are assessed based upon case study analysis, observation of role plays representing a simulated or real-time activity on the job. Odyssey requires that observer and third party reports are completed by individuals with relevant experience and qualifications.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
All students are provided with the opportunity to have their prior learning and experience assessed and recognised (Recognition of Prior Learning). Students who have successfully completed units of competency with another registered training organisation will receive credit transfers upon provision of a certified statement of attainment for the same unit/s of competency. For more information on our RPL processes, please click here.
Participants will receive a Statement of Attainment listing all units completed.
Intended audience & pre-requisites:
- This course is suited to those with an existing qualification at certificate IV level or higher in a related field and is highly sought after by those with under- and post-graduate qualifications in Social Work, Psychology, Nursing or other allied health qualification.
- The flexible online delivery format of our Skill Set course is designed for workers currently employed in the AOD (or related) sector, where a qualified supervisor can assist them in the provision of third-party reviews of practical assessments undertaken during their line of work. However regular web conferenced trainer lead sessions are available for those who prefer that study option or may access recordings after hours.
- Our online learning system includes access to audio-visual as well as other written materials.
- Students will require intermediate computer literacy and good time management skills.
- To work effectively in the sector candidates must be able to perform tasks requiring language and literacy skills such as reading and writing case notes and reports and conducting and recording comprehensive client assessments.
- Work in an alcohol and other drugs context (CHCAOD001)
- Assess needs of clients with alcohol and other drugs issues (CHCAOD004)
- Provide interventions for people with alcohol and other drugs issues (CHCAOD006)
- Develop and review individual alcohol and other drugs treatment plans (CHCAOD009)
Full fee-paying rate: $1,475.00
Subsidised rate: TBC
Please note: This training is provided with Victorian and Commonwealth Government funding. Enrolments are subject to available funding. Check your eligibility for Victorian Government funding here. The Alcohol and Other Drugs Skill Set is also available under the JobTrainer Initiative.
Learn more – contact us
Would you like to learn more about the Alcohol and Other Drugs Skill Set? You can send us a message with the form below, or contact the Student Coordinator directly.