About this qualification
Odyssey House Victoria offers candidates the four core competencies for working in the AOD sector. These core competencies are known as the Alcohol and Other Drugs Skill Set. Core competencies are skill sets that are considered essential for working in a particular area. For work conducted in the alcohol and other drugs sector, there are four core competencies (that are also included in the course CHC43215 – Certificate IV in Alcohol and Other Drugs) that are identified as essential requirements. This set of units reflects the skill requirements for support workers providing services to clients with alcohol and other drugs issues.
Occupational titles may include:
- Case worker
- Community support worker
- Detoxification worker
- Drug and alcohol worker
- Family support worker
- Outreach worker
- Support worker
Flexible online delivery
Our method of delivery for the Alcohol and Other Drugs Skill Set is flexible online delivery, designed for students currently employed in the alcohol and other drugs sector. The course is provided through our online Student Portal, with full online support in the form of manuals, learning materials and assessments as well as support via telephone, emails and forums. It is suitable for people with intermediate computer literacy. The format is similar to ‘distance learning’ and requires good time management skills.
Assessments are conducted using a variety of methods including question banks and written tasks. Practical skills are assessed based upon case study analysis, observation of role play recorded of a simulated or real-time activity on the job. Odyssey requires that observer and third party reports are completed by individuals with relevant experience and qualifications.
Refer to our Assessment Policy in the Student Handbook for information about reassessment and appeals.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
All students are provided with the opportunity to have their prior learning and experience assessed and recognised (Recognition of Prior Learning). Students who have successfully completed units of competency with another registered training organisation will receive credit transfers upon provision of a certified statement of attainment for the same unit/s of competency. For more information on our RPL processes, please click here.
Odyssey Institute will issue a Statement of Attainment to all who successfully complete the competencies of the AOD Skill Set and or individual units of competency.
Participants assessed as competent in the units receive a nationally recognised and accredited Statement of Attainment: the CHCSS00093 Alcohol and Other Drugs Skill Set. Partial completion of the qualification can lead to a Statement of Attainment being issued that will list any units of competency obtained.
Intended audience & pre-requisites:
- This course is suited to those with an existing Social Work, Psychology, Nursing or other allied health qualification, at Diploma level or higher.
- The flexible online delivery format of our Skill Set course is designed for workers currently employed in the AOD (or related) sector, where a qualified supervisor can assist them in the provision of third party reviews of practical assessments undertaken during their line of work.
- Our courses are contextualised for the Victorian AOD sector, and as such are recommended only for students intending on working in Victoria.
- This course is delivered online (and the blended delivery still entails the use of an online Student Portal) and thus is suitable for people with access to a computer and intermediate computer literacy.
- In order to work effectively in the sector candidates must be able to perform tasks requiring language, literacy and numeracy skills such as reading & writing case notes and reports, and conducting & writing assessments. A learning, literacy and numeracy test will be issued to all prospective students in line with national Registered Training Organisation requirements.
- Work in an alcohol and other drugs context (CHCAOD001)
- Assess needs of clients with alcohol and other drugs issues (CHCAOD004)
- Provide interventions for people with alcohol and other drugs issues (CHCAOD006)
- Develop and review individual alcohol and other drugs treatment plans (CHCAOD009)
Learn more – contact us
Would you like to learn more about the Alcohol and Other Drugs Skill Set? You can send us a message with the form below, or contact the Student Coordinator directly.